Where others see barriers, we see opportunities.
Do you enjoy supporting customers realizing breakthrough value? Do you stay attuned to your customers’ needs and visions? Do you like to work openly and supportively together with your colleagues and customers? Our work involves many different minds and skills, it can’t be done alone.
It's a great time being SES.
SES is the world-leading satellite operator providing end-to-end communication solutions. SES leads across new technologies in video, enterprise, mobility and government
We are a team of people coming from all across the globe who work together to make a real difference in the world.
- We help to bridge the digital divide by connecting millions of people on the African continent.
- We make it possible for people to stay connected while flying 10km up on a commercial airplane. We provide extensive satellite coverage of all of the world’s seas and ocean regions via our dedicated mobility beams
- We distribute 7,400 channels to more than 1 billion people in 317 million homes.
- We work together with our partners to develop new standards that transform how people consume and enjoy entertainment.
(Senior) Engineer, Systems Engineering
ROLE DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This project related position will support the definition, design, development, testing and delivery of the Galileo Data Dissemination Network (GDDN)* as well as the Public Communications Systems (PSC)** project.
In this project the incumbent will focus on defining customer needs and required functionality early in the development cycle, documenting requirements, and then proceeding with design synthesis and system validation, while considering the complete problem: operations, cost and schedule, performance, training and support, test, manufacturing, and disposal. He / She could also contribute to or lead other projects related to the development, implementation, and improvement of ground based services and systems.
In addition, the incumbent takes an active role in the preparation of technical proposals in response to international tenders.
* The GDDN interconnects the two Galileo Control Centres in Italy and Germany to an extensive network of sensor stations, uplink stations and Telemetry, Tracking and Control (TT&C) stations distributed around the world. The GDDN also provides the connectivity to the Galileo satellite test and launch facilities, security monitoring centres, network management facilities and external entities.
** The Public Communications Systems (PSC) is a satellite-terrestrial hybrid communications infrastructure for emergency communications and critical infrastructure protection, to be deployed primarily in the public and private sector in Luxembourg.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / KEY RESULT AREAS
- Deliver projects and services to customers within the agreed budget, specification and schedule, meaning:
- Design, specify and implement VSAT and medium size Earth stations, comprised of communication systems and software systems and whenever applicable, their interfaces to other ground stations
- Design, specify and implement network management system for the satellite and hybrid communication systems;
- Design subsystems and implement earth station equipment including antennas, transmission equipment, monitor and control, and network management systems
- Perform transmission analysis, in particular link budget calculations, and studies in support of business development and customer services
- Design innovative satellite networks and/or network elements concepts and develop associated specifications
- Design and implement software/computer infrastructure and/or modifications to comply with specific customer requirements such as transmission and management of digital video, audio and data
- Prepare the commercial documentation such as system requirements specifications, technical system specifications, operational procedure, cost estimations and contractual documents in coordination with other internal and external parties
- Perform system design, handle budgets, handle procurements, manage installations and the operational handover of ground segment and communications systems
- In the scope of the project, coordinate with other functions (Project Control, Legal, Finance) for the transparent and effective realization of assigned project
- In coordination with the Service Management team, prepare operational procedures and ensure the second Level Customer Support for the delivered system
- Interface with external partners (e.g. customers, Non-Governmental Organisations, Government bodies, investment partners, vendors, shareholders, etc.)
- Take an active part in SES Techcom Services’ proposal activities through the provision of Technical Specifications, Statement of Works (SOW’s) and Cost Estimations, in response to customer Requests For Information (RFI); customer Requests For Proposals (RFP), whereby the activities could include the set-up and supervision of small interdisciplinary proposal teams in function of the technical and commercial proposal preparation and the contract negotiation process
- Proactively scopes the technical solution required to address customer requirements, assesses customers’ met and unmet needs, and recommends solutions that optimize value for both the customer and the firm
- Awareness and evaluation of relevant technological developments, market trends, competitive factors, customer requirements, standardisation licensing and regulatory aspects
- Define future technology requirements in close co-operation with sales and other SES group companies
- Follow-up technology development in the field and make recommendations to management regarding evolution of SES TechCom’s services and products
- Provide technical recommendations and expertise to the management in the area of networking, communication protocols, network management and security
- Strong understanding of project management (incl. budget management)
- Ability to integrate into and/or lead cross-functional and/or virtual project teams
- Effective audience oriented communication
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Innovative spirit and be business proactive
- Proactive approach towards potential and/or current customers
- Good conflict management skills in a multicultural and interdisciplinary set-up
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to set priorities and to work under deadlines
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Master Degree in Computer Science and/or Telecommunications or equivalent
- Minimum five (5) years of applicable professional experience in satellite network implementation and management
- Knowledge of the satellite technologies and satellite based communication
- Systems engineering experience on satellite to ground communication means
- Sound knowledge with network with emphasis on TCP/IP running over different physical media
- Profound knowledge of network security policies and practices
- Sound knowledge of professional mobile radio systems and standards such as FM, TETRA and TETRAPOL
- Awareness of international standards, guidelines and methods such as PMI-PMP, ECSS, OMG SysML, INCOSE, and SEBoK
- Familiar with Windows and Linux operating system and programming languages (e.g. Java, Python)
- Experience in pre-sales engineering (e.g. technical proposal, cost estimation, facing customer) is considered as an asset
- Knowledge of performance, risk, cost, and schedule analysis
- Fluency in English and any other languages will be considered as an asset
- Willingness to travel internationally
We offer you
- A diverse workplace. For SES, diversity is more than a question of gender or race; we welcome different minds and different skills.
- An exciting job opportunity in a fast moving and fascinating industry. Our technology is launching into space on the next generation of rockets.
- Opportunities to further grow and develop in a global and growing company; we believe life-long learning is key to bring the best of SES worldwide.
- A competitive compensation package linked to your performance and further completed with attractive benefits.
SES is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.