Maternity contract role
Everyday millions of people throughout the world consume food or beverage products containing our Taste & Nutrition technologies or systems. Kerry Taste & Nutrition is the largest and broadest industry innovation and solutions provider in the fragmented global ingredients and flavours market. Our consumer foods division, Kerry Foods, is a market leading supplier of added-value branded and customer branded chilled food products to the Irish, UK and selected international markets.
Since the commissioning of our first dairy and ingredients plant in Listowel, Ireland in 1972, we have grown to become the largest and most technologically advanced developer and provider of taste and nutrition solutions in the world. Our market leading insight and innovation, food and beverage heritage, science and technology, and applications/culinary excellence, provides the foresight and technology to deliver products that nourish and delight consumers throughout the world.
Kerry Group is quoted on the London & Irish Stock exchanges, with headquarters in Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland. We employ over 23,000 people worldwide and our 2016 Group revenue was €6.1 billion.
We are looking for leaders of the future, so if you have the ambition to match ours, we’d like to hear from you!
As a Patent Lawyer/Attorney you will work closely with other members of the Intellectual Property Team and provide IP counseling to the business, including its Scientists as well as commercial/business management. You will be expected to develop and foster strong relationships with the Science and Technology community as well as adjacent functions.
In this exciting role you will perform the following:
- Patent drafting and prosecution: You will interface with scientists and adjacent functions on the commercial side of the business to spot inventions and decide how best to protect them. You will be responsible for the prosecution of a variety of patent portfolios across our Taste & Nutrition Business.
- As an IP department representative on multi-functional commercial/business teams, you will counsel science & technology and commercial business managers with regard to IP risks and opportunities.
- M&A: review contracts, agreements and all other related information to provide an opinion on a target companies Patent portfolio.
- Freedom to operate: You will analyse third party patent risks and develop and execute on appropriate strategies for infringement avoidance.
- Third party collaborations: In collaboration with our Legal Department, you will advise on IP-related aspects of technical agreements, including MTA, CDA and joint Research and Development agreements.
- Education and training: You will assist in the preparation and deliver of IP training for scientists and commercial teams.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Fully qualified European Patent Lawyer/Attorney
- Advanced degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Life Science or similar
- Preferably at least 5 years’ post-qualification experience, although strong candidates with less experience will be considered
- Ideally acquired some experience of working within an in-house IP department
- Out-going personality. Excellent interpersonal skills in order to relate and communicate credibly with individuals at all levels within the company
- Ability to build relationships with scientists, legal and business/commercial teams
- Excellent verbal/written skills, demonstrating the ability to articulate complex tech and legal issues in a concise and comprehensible manner
- Business fluent in English; other language skills are an asset
- Willingness to travel between Kerrys various key sites.