Job Title: Hedge Fund Analyst (HFA)
Company type: Family Office
Location: Luxembourg (with frequent and extensive business travel needs)
Reason of the search: new position
Reporting to: the Firm’s CIO
The candidate will be part of the investment management team responsible for selecting investments and managing the portfolios of the Firm’s clients. He/she will work primarily on the Hedge Funds portfolios but will be also involved in other types of investment strategies, specifically in the illiquid space (e.g. Private Equity, Private Debt and Special Situations).
The HFA will focus initially on the Hedge Funds portfolios and will be responsible for the following activities:
- Conduct research on the macro environment and the global spectrum of alternative investment opportunities, including the area of “alternative beta” solutions and/or “smart beta” index strategies;
- As part of a relatively small team, participate in the due diligence process and monitoring of investments in other asset classes (if required).
- Contribute to sourcing, screening, on-site due diligence, and structuring of investment opportunities in the Hedge Funds world;
- Build and maintain Excel-based models to analyse investments;
- Deal with External Managers and all parties involved in a new investment;
- Interact with external advisors/consultants;
- Cooperate with the internal support teams (operations and legal); - Produce due diligence reports and maintain deal database; - Prepare and discuss investment memos.
C. Portfolio management and monitoring:
- Track performance and business developments of the funds invested and /or covered;
- Attend Annual Meetings organized by the Fund managers and participate in (and report on) their frequent update conference calls;
- Carry out regular peer group analysis and participate in Capital Introduction conferences and other industry-specific forums;
- Prepare regular investment performance reporting; - Propose portfolio rebalancing.
- Participate and help to arrange internal investment meetings; - Contribute to prepare reporting material to clients.
The ideal candidate is 30-35 years old, and has the following background, skills and experience: a) Educational background:
Degree in Finance/Economics with strong academic credentials or degree in Corporate Law with Master in Finance
b) Previous work experience:
Total work experience of 5-7 years (minimum) in similar positions as hedge funds analyst at internationally-oriented companies: hedge fund of funds, family offices, investment consulting firms or banks.
c) Required professional skills:
- Proven and superior expertise in conducting extensive due diligence and monitoring investments in the hedge funds space.
- In-depth knowledge of the alternative investment landscape with a focus on hedge funds.
- Very good command of MS Office package: Advanced Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Bloomberg workstation (or similar market analytical tools) and external databases or research platforms dedicated to hedge funds.
- Ability to build Excel-based valuation models and monitoring spreadsheets.
- Superior ability to produce investment reports, internal memos and meeting notes.
- Ability to deal with external advisors (e.g. legal) to effectively perform a complete due diligence over selected investment opportunities.
d) Additional professional expertise and attributes:
- Very good knowledge of statistical-econometric principles and superior command of quantitative analytical tools (VBA is a strong plus) and portfolio construction techniques.
- Proven expertise in Private Equity investments. - Post-graduate Master in Economics or Finance. - CFA member or candidate.
e) Personal Attributes:
- Flexibility and interest in performing multiple tasks.
- Ability and willingness to cooperate with colleagues.
- Proactivity and ability to work autonomously.
- Aptitude to work toward set goals and to problem solving.
- Good communication and relationship skills.
- Available and keen to travel around the world for business trips.